“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance” (Colossians 2:23-24).
We’ve been having a busy summer at Watsontown United Methodist Church! Here is a snapshot of many of the ways we hope you’ve been connecting with us (and even more importantly, seeking to connect with Jesus Christ).
1) Every weekday since school let out, volunteers from Watsontown UMC have made the Watsontown Memorial Park their home. The Kids Cafe outreach serves a free meal all children and youth who show up to eat. You can find these volunteers, kids, and families chilling out by one of the pavilions from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm. No one is turned away. How blessed we have been, too, for the partnership of the Hoeganaes Corporation and Watsontown’s First National Bank who have given of their own time to serve. This program will continue until the beginning of the school year.
2) The Watsontown UMC’s 5th Annual Blueberry Festival has come and gone. Food, vendors, games, a bounce house, model trains, and scouting stands took center stage as our congregation opened its doors for a summer community event. Sincere and heartfelt thanks go out to the Blueberry Festival Planning Committee under the leadership of Faith Hoover and Melinda Pick for another successful event. Be ready to mark your calendars for next year as the blueberries keep coming back!
3) Another GoFishGuys Vacation Bible School went out with a literal splash! What better way to conclude a week-long journey of singing God’s praise, dancing, reading the Bible, and growing in faith than to invite the Warrior Run Fire Department to hose down three “lucky” fundraisers. Mission efforts for the Wounded Warriors, Warrior Run Fire Department, and 2017 Vacation Bible School raised over $1,000. Way to go! But the greatest gifts of the week cannot be bought or counted; so we pray for all of the children who drew close to God over the week. We are also grateful for the work of the VBS Committee and for chairperson Camy Brungard’s leadership to touch the lives of community young people!
But the Summer is not done yet! Below is glimpse of what we have planned as August rolls around and families prep to go back to school.
- You are invited to Worship @ the Campfire every Thursday at 7:30PM until Labor Day. The fire ring has even had a face-lift!
- You are invited to a Blessing of the Backpacks on August 14 at 8am and 10:30am worship services. Children are asked to bring their back packs full of school supplies to be blessed and prayed over. If you know someone who might need a back pack, call the church office.
- You are invited to a Church Picnic on August 21 at 3PM. This year, the location will be Montour Preserve, Heron’s Cove A Pavilion. This will be a pot-luck event so you are encouraged to bring a dish to share. Worship services will be held as normal that morning.
No matter what your summer holds, don’t forget to make time for you and God, and God’s Spirit in you. You are loved by the people of the Watsontown United Methodist Church.